Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, July 16, 2012

3-day check-up

And all systems are go.

After gaining almost an ounce in the day we spent in the hospital, Barrett gained another three ounces since, to weigh in at 8 pounds, 1 ounce at his three-day check up.

The weight gain is particularly surprising because of all the pooping this boy has done in his short time out of the womb.  He has pooped two or three times every day since he was born, and this afternoon I made a mistake I won't make again with this baby.

After getting him naked for his weight check, I naively decided to wait for Dr. Baker by wrapping him up in a blanket, loosely placing his diaper under him, rather than affixing it back to his bottom.

And shortly thereafter, I heard an offensive noise I immediately remembered as the sound of projectile baby poop being forced out with the impressive gas of a developing gut.  But with no diaper to contain the mess, this sweet little boy sprayed yellow, small-curd poop all over me, my chair, the wall behind us, the floor below us and a brand-spanking new baby blanket.

I rushed to clean what I could before Dr. Baker joined us (using up all the wipes in my travel case as well as a hospital blanket I ended up burying in the bottom of the exam room trash can), but there was no hiding the poop smear all over my skirt, nor the mustard-colored stain left on the vinyl of the chair.  But this was clearly not the first poop explosion Dr. Baker had experienced, as he politely offered me a hospital gown to cover my poop stain until I got out of the office.

Instead, I strategically arranged the diaper bag to cover the poop and decided not to be deterred -- lunch at Isaac's is about as celebratory as this anniversary was going to get, and I wasn't about to give up that opportunity.

But to add insult to injury, my milk came in this afternoon in full force, and just as our sandwiches were served, Brian noticed the quarter-sized wet spot in the center of each boob growing on my shirt.  Shameless, we stayed and enjoyed a wonderful lunch, amidst the remains of projectile poop and lactation leaking.

I laughed so hard this afternoon tears streamed down my face.

2 comments:

Connie said...

So glad to see that even super mom can have some moments of normalcy! You will look back on this anniversary as one of the more memorable ones and love your little one even more because of it. Here's to many more (happy anniversaries, not necessarily little ones!)

Connie said...

So glad to see that even super mom can have some moments of normalcy! You will look back on this anniversary as one of the more memorable ones and love your little one even more because of it. Here's to many more (happy anniversaries, not necessarily little ones!)