Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Snorting and sleeping

Quickie:

First of all, this boy snorts more than he cries.  As in piggy snorts.

He also sleeps much more than I remember Cayden sleeping.  He's been in his crib for at least one stretch of sleep since the second night we brought him home, and last night he spent the entire night in the crib.  I put him down at 10:30, and when I woke to his piggy snorts in the middle of the night, I thought to myself, "Wow, I feel really well rested" before I looked at the clock and realized it was 3:45 a.m.  He had slept soundly and allowed me to do the same for five hours.

And after an hour of nursing, diaper changing (twice), more nursing and a tight new swaddle, he fell back asleep at 5 a.m. and slept until almost 8.

He has been sleeping most of today, so I wonder how that might affect his sleep patterns tonight.  But like Cayden, he's taken to cluster feeding in the late afternoon and evening hours, which is fine with me, if a little extra time at the boob at dusk is the trade-off for good stretches of sleep at night.

But the fact is he's only five days old, and everything could change at a moment's notice.  I don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment, but sporadic sleep victories are unexpected good news.

Oh, and one more thing - Barrett doesn't seem to be bothered by gas like Cayden was.  He poops and toots like a champ, but he never winces or cries trying to force things out.  I wonder how much that contributes to his easy-going temperment and proclivity for sleep.  It's gotta be easier to be content if your belly isn't hurting all the time.

No comments: