Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, March 1, 2009

A weekend full of baby

Diaper consultation, creating the baby registry and clearing the furniture out of the nursery all went smoothly. Exhausting, but smooth.

Only major news from the weekend's activities is a lesson I was none-too-pleased to learn: baby clothes are really, really, outrageously expensive. Granted, I'm cheap, but there's no way I can justify spending $35 to $40 per outfit, especially when each outfit may fit the kid for three months. The little man clothes are undeniably cute, but if I won't pay more than $20 for a pair of jeans for myself (which I will wear year after year), there's no way in hell I'm going to spend $25 on a polo shirt and cargo shorts that might be worn four times.

My mom was generous and splurged on an outfit we hope to use as a homecoming jumper(it's really, really adorable, and the blue Nike booties Lauren and Jeff got us coordinate with it perfectly), but I don't envision many similar splurges in the future.

Special thanks to Lynn and Jess, who pointed out the baby clothes outlets in Hershey, where cute clothes can be found for MUCH cheaper.

And after all, this baby is going to be born in the dead of summer, right? Am I a horrible mother for thinking a 99-cent onesie and a blanket will suffice in the summer heat? Sure he'll need a cute outfit every now and then, but simple basics aren't beneath me for the everyday.

In other news, this week we hope to have my brother over to wire an overhead light/ceiling fan in the nursery, then steam clean the carpets before we pick up the furniture this coming weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get really good deals at Kohls in terms of baby clothes.Like multiple items for a good price.

Liz said...

Thanks for the tip!

Mayday28 said...

Berlington Coat Factory also has a big baby section, a few of my friends have registered there, lots of cute clothes!

Cayden said...

Once Unon A Child consignment shop in the Karns shopping center on Rt. 22 has really nice things very inexpensively. Plus you can sell what you have outgrown there too.