Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today's appointment

I dropped off pee, got weighed (lost a half-pound since Jan. 6) and heard the heartbeat through doppler. In and out in less than 10 minutes, save of course the time in the waiting room. Only thing I was expecting that didn't happen was a measurement of my belly, from breast bone to below the belly button. I guess it's still to early for that, yet.

CRNP Amy isn't concerned at all about the weight. She says any gain between zero and 10 pounds through week 20 is OK with her, as long as I feel OK and no other issues arise. She did laugh when she saw my shoes and said I'd probably opt for a more comfy, non-stiletto style if/when my back starts hurting.

She was also eager to make a guess about the sex, but she said she just didn't have enough info on which to base anything. In her experience, faster hearbeats and mom's weight gain in the face and hips are tell-tale signs a little girl is on the way. On the flip side, if all mom's weight is carried up front in the bump, it's a boy. Amy said the heartbeat was a little fast (darn if I didn't ask the rate), but she just didn't have enough to go on for a guess. She did say dreams are also telling predictors, but I haven't had any baby dreams. So we'll just have to wait until Feb. 24.

No comments: