Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The baby that delayed my epidural.
(Oh, and we're still growing)

I met him today: Carson, and his mom is Sarah.

She's in my BF group, and I had overheard her talking about her emergency c-section a few weeks ago. I confirmed today that her baby's birthday is the same as Cayden's, and I asked her what time Carson was born. She said 2:50 p.m. (after her water broke 18 hours earlier at Ruby Tuesday), but then there were complications because she regained feeling before the procedure was done. So general anesthesia was required, and the anesthesiologists were in with her for quite a while after Carson's birth.

We arrived at the hospital at about 3:20 p.m., and I think I asked for the epidural somewhere around 4 p.m. I was told the anesthesiologists were tied up in an emergency c-section, but that they'd be in as soon as they were done.

So Sarah and Carson delayed my epidural. We laughed about the coincidence and meeting each other, and she's a really nice girl, from the few minutes I spent chatting with her. And Carson is experiencing all the same sleeping challenges as Cayden: infrequent (if ever) naps, late-day fussiness and preference to be held while sleeping.

Carson was also born with a full head of hair, but it all fell out, and he's left with peach fuzz right now. Sarah wanted to know how I kept Cayden's hair, and I told her I have no idea.

It was funny to sit next to the two of them, however, because Carson -- a little less than six hours older than Cayden, was probably about five pounds smaller. It's amazing to compare this chunk to other babies his age and older. FYI, he weighed in today at 14 pounds, 5 ounces, exactly one pound more than a week ago. That means he's still gaining more than 2 ounces a day, double to quadruple the average growth rate. Oh, and there was a 9-month old baby at today's group -- standing and walking and looking very much like a normal 9-month old -- who weighed 17 pounds. Three pounds more than my seven-week-old. I can't even imagine what this kid will weigh more than seven months from now.

I can't wait to hear what Dr. Baker has to say in two weeks, at Chicken Wing's 2-month appointment.

I think my boobs make super-milk. :)

2 comments:

MEM said...

i am dying here - i think you do make super-milk. my 7-month old is just over 15 lbs!
late-in-the-day fussiness: we still have it.
anti-naps: still got it.

oh - and another shocker that wasn't really in the books: after they learn to STTN for a while, they start teething or get a cold (check! and check!) and everybody's sleep goes to heck. AGAIN. i want to pull my hair out. will i never sleep again?

C and M said...

We have similar stories ... met a mom and baby at group. Her son was born just before Ethan and I had the giant baby. Ethan gained about a pound a week for what seemed like forever. It eventually slows down... you won't have a 50+lb 1 year old, no worries! Ethan is almost 8 months and about 22lbs (hasn't been weighed in a couple of weeks). Higher percentile & healthy. It's neat to see the rolls and think I/my body/my milk did that!

I agree with the previous commenter too... sleep is constantly changing for us too. It's always something but always worth it! Hope things are going well!