Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

This morning's doctor appointment

Weight: up two pounds from two weeks ago, 19 pounds overall. And I crossed the 160 threshold.
Blood Pressure: 118/76
Fundal Height:37 cm, although Dr. Hazzard said now that baby boy is settling in lower, the FH measurement doesn't mean as much in the final weeks.
His Heartbeat: Loud and fast (normal)
Pee: no issues

Also found out my Group B strep results were negative, so no antibiotics are needed during delivery.

I asked if Dr. Hazzard could determine his position (which way he's facing), and she said not yet. She could definitely feel his butt just under my right rib, but she said he can still spin around in there right up until delivery. They're not worried about rotation until labor begins, and then they'd like to try to get him facing my back, with his spine against my belly.

And she called him a small baby again. :( I know she can't tell for sure, and I certainly don't want him to be too big (read: more painful to deliver), but I was kind of thinking/hoping he'd be in the 7-8 pound range. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And after my last appointment I called my insurance provider to see what kind of coverage they offered for an IUD (birth control). They don't cover the instrument itself or the insertion or removal, so rough estimates are that an IUD would cost me about $1,000 out of pocket.

So today I asked what the typically prescribed mini-pill is, so I could check its cost through my prescription coverage. Nor-Q.D. is covered by my insurance, but it is a non-preferred, higher-cost medication. BUT, If I opt for the the generic version, Nora-Be, the cost is ZERO! My mail-order pharmacy benefit waives all co-payments for choosing the lower-cost alternative!

Imagine my surprise and delight. I mean I was used to cheap birth control (I used to get three packs for $15), but I never expected FREE BC!

So next week I just have to make sure my docs are OK prescribing the generic, which I'll start taking two two six weeks after delivery...

No comments: