Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Breastfeeding class

Eh, kind of a waste of time. The handouts were informative, but the class itself didn't offer much more. But Brian got a kick out of the stuffed boob they passed around.

Glad to have read the following, however:
• Introduction of pacifiers should wait until breastfeeding is well-established, after about a month
• Same for bottles: wait until he’s got a good latch and sucking routine, before adding another element to the mix
• But since baby will associate breastfeeding with me, Dad should be the one to first introduce bottles, in hopes that baby will be more receptive
• A pumping routine should start at least a couple of weeks before I return to work (although I think I’ll probably start after a few weeks, to start “stocking up”)
• Hershey offers an eight-part series of classes on breastfeeding for new moms.

No particular recommendations were offered on the bottle front, so I think I'm going to stick with Dr. Browns and Avent bottles, both recommended for easier transition to bottle-feeding and for preventing reflux. But I'll only open the bottles as we use them, so I can return them for other options if baby boy ends up objecting to the bottles I picked.

The instructor did, however, kind of endorse the pump I'm considering, the Ameda Purely Yours. She used a Medela, but she said Hershey only offers Medela and Ameda pumps for sale because of the quality and research both companies offer.

And speaking of pumping -- why, you may ask, am I thinking of pumping earlier than I'd need to, to prepare for my return to work? Simply put, because my 30th birthday will likely be about a month after this baby is born, and I'd like to have a few feedings "stocked up" in the freezer by then so that I can celebrate three decades with as many drinks as I want. It's been a loooong time, folks, since I enjoyed a good wine buzz, and I'm really looking forward to it. Assuming we can find responsible, sober babysitters for that day/evening, of course.

Funny, because when the question of alcohol consumption and breastfeeding came up last night, our instructor approached the topic from a completely different perspective.

Her take: "Ladies, if you really want a beer or a glass of wine on that anniversary or special occasion every now and then, go ahead and allow yourself that one drink. No need to pump and dump. Just breastfeed beforehand so you can enjoy the drink and it's out of your system by the time you need to breasfeed again in three hours or so."

My approach: I've allowed myself a small glass of wine or part of a beer every now and then for the past few months. I'm comfortable with my decision, and I don't feel like defending myself or opening a debate on the topic right now. What I'm talking about is real boozin', the kind I've done without and watched so many friends and family members enjoy over the past seven-and-a-half months. The kind of celebratory boozin that won't be out of my system by the next feeding. So yes, folks, I will be pumping and dumping right around August 16. I just hope my lower tolerance for the sauce doesn't leave me hurting too much the next day.

No comments: